On this episode of The Backbone, I chat with David about:
- What he attributes to being a part of many technology success stories and the advice he'd impart on finance leaders. (David was the VP Finance at PixStream - a company that sold to Cisco for $369M and prior to Ecobee was the CFO at Achievers - a company that was acquired by BlackHawk Networks for $110M.)
- The biggest difference between software and hardware technology companies and how it effects the capital raise or acquisition process? (David has raised capital from prestigious firms like Sequoia and Amazon. He's also exited various technology companies to the likes of Cisco and Blackhawk Network. He's been a part of raises/exits over $700M US in deal value!)
- What Ecobee is all about, and how it became a global brand in home automation.
- About his passion towards people and their role in organizations; why its important in scaling organizations and why he cares so deeply about it as the finance leader?
- The importance of the finance function at a technology company.
We close things off with a quickfire round:
- Your go to online resource for all things startup finance related
- Your favourite productivity hack
- Tech jargon that makes you cringe
- The best advise you've received
- One thing you don't leave the office before finishing